Emojipedia is a resource for learning more about emoji which uses images from a variety of platforms in an educational manner to document this fascinating and ever-growing collection of characters.
Emoji licensing is a question which we are often asked. "Can I use emoji images for free?" or "How do I license Apple emojis?" (or other vendors).
Emoji characters displayed on Emojipedia belong to their respective font creators. What you can and cannot do with emoji images varies depending on which images you are looking to use.
How to License Emoji Images
Multiple options exist for licensing emoji images.
- For display on the web, "fair use" may apply when referencing emoji related topics
- Emojipedia permits using our original sample images for upcoming emoji releases for this purpose.
- In fact, we welcome this! Please feel free to use our images to illustrate a story or article; with a link provided back here for attribution.
- Many emoji projects exist with various licensing options clearly listed online. Many are free or open source. These licensed emoji sets include:
- Each of the above projects have different conditions for how they can be used (online only, print, commercial, etc); and whether there are specific terms for attribution or distribution.
Emojipedia is not involved in the licensing of emoji images from any vendors listed on this site.
We do not provide licensing information or services for third party vendors. This includes Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, HTC, LG, Twitter, Facebook, EmojiOne and emojidex.
To the best of our knowledge, specific information about licensing emojis from Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, or Samsung is not publicly available.
- Unless otherwise stated, emoji images are © copyright, and enquiries about commercial licensing of emoji images should be directed to their respective font vendors.
- Unicode has additional guidance on the use of emoji images which may be helpful.
- We are unable to provide contact details, or further information about licensing third party emoji images.
- We are also not lawyers, so cannot give an easy answer on what is an acceptable or fair use of emoji images, so we advise you to use your judgement in this area.
- More details about who owns emoji can be found on our blog.
Emojipedia creates original images in a glossy Apple-like style for the Emojipedia Sample Image Collection, which you are welcome to use on the web with attribution 👍